Applicants must be a graduate of a higher education art, film, or animation school and qualify as a film director, or creative professional with at least one completed/produced audio-visual animation short film on their CV. This could either be an independently produced animation film and/or a school graduation film.
SAR is for one individual only. The Resident’s uninterrupted presence throughout SAR is obligatory by signing a commitment agreement and acceptance letter outlining SAR dates and conditions.
The project must be presented in an animated format, in writing, clearly defining the area of sustainability you wish to focus on and the reasons for it. The stated environmental facts must be authenticated and based on public research and sources by validated institutions.
Your application must include
1. A motivation letter about why SAR is important for your project
2. A synopsis or treatment of your mandatory project supported by graphics and sketches and/or a storyboard
3. The topic of sustainability: intentions, purpose, and possible impact of the project in an environmental context
4. A mood board and soundscape including musical cues
5. Technical notes
6. Your Curriculum Vitae
7. Your showreel and previous works, including student work
8. You must be able to commit to be present the entire time throughout the six week SAR Residency
IMPORTANT: Your application document limit is maximum 30 pages. Any application over 30 pages will not be accepted.
All submissions will be judged by two different Juries of relevant and reputable environmental, arts and animation professionals. Considering factors like innovative animation technique, soundtrack, originality, clarity and relevance of the message, treatment and narrative, visual language, artistic scope, accuracy of environmental issues, humour, commercial and production potential.
The shortlist of three proposals, selected by the 'PreJury', will be announced by mid-January on this website and via social media.
The SAR Winner, voted from the shortlist by the 'ProJury', will be revealed on this website and via social media by mid-March.
See timeline for more details.